My cousin, Christopher, and his beautiful wife, Kathleen, welcomed their first child, Brody Quinn O’Connell, last week.
And you know what that meant, right? Yep. It’s was time to make another baby bassinet! I dusted off my sewing machine and serger, gathered yards and yards of tulle and played with the most scrumptious Silk Shantung.
After I finished the tulle pettiskirt, I made a silk lining for the inside of the bassinet using the mattress as my template.
Next was the fun part—ironing 14 yards of silk. Yes, I kept it all in one piece…LOL!
For the skirt, I added a casing at the top for the elastic, a hem on the bottom and then gathered the 28 foot piece of silk around the outer part of the bassinet. I know I went a little overboard—but I like skirts full. Ridiculously full.
I made a sage green silk swag around the skirt to cover the casing and then tied it in a big arse bow in the front of the bassinet.
My biggest dilemma was the bassinet hood. Unlike other ones I’ve done (which were wicker), this one was a folding hood. It made it difficult to cover—so I had to take out the good old glue gun for my sanity.
The silk was off-white, more like the picture above. It was really hard to make a bassinet without all the girly frills, but I held back—I didn’t want anyone to mistake Brody for a baby girl.
Congratulations Kathleen and Chris! And just so you know, as an embroiderer, I warned them about the baby’s initials—B.O. as in Body Odor. Yes, I will tease him relentlessly.